lunedì 21 ottobre 2013

Tyranid bases, mud, water and a sparkle of a mage.



Over the weekend I've been experimenting a bit.

I went for a walk with a friend and, aswell as some fantastic pics like the one above, I ended up with some more gifts from mother nature. :D




So I decided to try and use some larch budlings.

I carefully (hehe.. yeah) removed them from their twig and glued them on a base, with not a proper plan in my mind beyond pure experimentation.




Next step was the addition of scenic sand but, while doing so, I realized what I was about to do: tyranid sporelings.
I was also planning to try some glues I bought a while ago, in order to achieve a muddy effect. So I had the epiphany: tyranid sporeling secreting ooze!




I approximately painted what was about to become the pit of the ooze puddle with a green mixture, then proceeded with the use of the bicomponent glue.

So I prepared a green/brownish mixture on a tinfoil, adding the binding glue to the mixture once the colour was of my liking.
Then I poured this "solution" on the greenish puddles of the bases, trying to cover the most of them up to the borders.
Finally I added the hardener part of the glue and mixed thoroughly, until the solution became slimy and sticky.

Before of that I added some silica gel spheres, in order to achieve a gas-bubble-about-to-explode effect.


Et-voilà! I'm rather pleased with the result.
















Next: Trygon and Carnifex bases. ;)





While waiting for the basecoat to dry, I tried if such glue could be used for a non-slimy effect.




I think it does, with some more experimentations and further trials might work.




Needless to say, my mind is planning thousands of different uses for this effect. More will come!

Oh! But the most important thing: wooden mage has gotten a few colors. Still WIP, tho. ;)

4 commenti:

  1. Amazing Job and beautiful process description. This bases are simply marvelous....and the "mud" effect is so realistic.
    Well done...
    I hope to see other images as soon as possible.
    Keep on and my compliments for this blog!

    Dissi

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you a lot!
      It's always a pleasure getting appreciated for the little things you do. ;)

      Elimina
    2. Really nice job! I've just a simple question, do you think it could be possible to use a PVA glue (vinavil) instead of the bicomponent one?
      Thanks very much
      Bel lavoro mi piace proprio anche in italiano ;D

      Elimina
    3. Thanks!
      I don't think PVA glue would work as good, since it makes a plastic and unrealistic look at the edge of the water element.
      But I haven't been using it in a while, might give a try in an experimental way, diluting it with water. Best way is to try!
      I'm going to try pva+alchool for mouth-slime effect sooner or later, so stay tuned!
      Grazie mille, anche in italiano! :D

      Elimina